We are pleased to be able to continue the St Dominic’s School Robotics Club in 2020! Information about the 2020 program is outlined below.
Who: Students in Year 4 to 6
When: Every Monday during the school term.
Time: 7:30am to 8.30am
Where: The STEM room (Computer Lab next to the uniform shop)
What to bring:
- A snack for after robotics/before school starts if desired.
- Your ipad if you are in Year 5 or 6.
- Problem solving skills, a positive attitude and team work skills
The Robotics Club will give students the opportunity to work with the Lego Mindstorms EV3 Robotics kits purchased by the Parents and Friends Association. Lego Mindstorms give children the power to create and command their own robotic Lego creatures, vehicles, machines and inventions.
By using hands-on robotics, students will gain a better understanding of how technology works in real world applications. Building and programming robots enables students to design, code, create models, build, test, troubleshoot and revise designs to improve robot performance and gain practical, hands-on experience using mathematical concepts such as estimating and measuring distance, time and speed.
If your child is interested in being part of the robotics club, please discuss the following points with them;
- Being a part of this club will require problem solving skills. Students will be supported, but also expected to find solutions and overcome hurdles independently.
- All students will be working as a part of a team of (approximately) three students.
- Students are expected to act in a responsible and respectful manner towards the facilities, equipment and other club members.
- This is an optional club but it requires a regular commitment.
The club will commence in Week 3, Monday, 17th February. If your child would like to commit to being a part of this club, please complete the following application form by Wednesday, 12th February.